Instagram is currently one of the most popular social networks. In 2018, the social network registered more than 1 billion active users. This has been the biggest growth of these characteristics to date. Some of the keys to this growth have been all the features they’ve been releasing, such as Instagram TV or the app’s improved analytics. Besides, more and more brands make the most out of this social network by launching Instagram sweepstakes.
The photography social network is, therefore, a place where brands can find hundreds of possibilities when it comes to capturing an audience or generating engagement. One of the most frequently used tools in this regard is the creation of Instagram sweepstakes, giveaways or contests. In this post, we’ll tell you all the tricks and secrets to running one of them.
Why and how to run Instagram Sweepstakes?
Cool Tabs offers you its Instagram Sweepstakes application to create giveaways in a very simple way. You can choose between running a giveaway among all of your followers (you must check it manually) or among those who have commented on your posts (either photos or videos, which you can check automatically), or both. You can also ask the participants to mention one or more users or use a certain hashtag.
Thanks to Instagram Sweepstakes, you can boost your community and create more engagement among your followers, since you’ll be rewarding your audience for interacting or following you. You can also interact directly with your audience, get conversations going, gain brand visibility, promote your products/services or expand your database. In addition, our feature will allow you to download a report with all the data on the users who participate in your giveaways.
Here you can take a look at our written tutorial on how to create a direct Instagram Sweepstakes.
Specific conditions for Instagram Sweepstakes
Before running a giveaway on Instagram with Cool Tabs, make sure you are clear on the following conditions:
- Keep in mind the differences between the free and paid version of Instagram Sweepstakes. Our free version includes a maximum of 100 participants. Meanwhile, the paid version has no limit on the number of participants, regardless of whether the giveaway is among your followers or comments (including mentions and hashtags).
- If you have a payment plan, you can download a report with all the data on the users who have entered the giveaway by leaving one or more comments on your post. If you’re looking for a report with all the information on your Instagram, don’t forget to take a look at the options we offer with our Social Listening and Analytics service for Instagram. Remember that, thanks to the monitoring of these sweepstakes, you’ll be able to get your hands on some very interesting and useful information about your audience.
Recommendations to ensure your Instagram Sweepstakes are a success
- Even if you have the option to ask for several requirements from your followers (whether they’re followers or those who comment several times on the post), we recommend not forcing them to do too many of these things at the same time, unless absolutely necessary. Your audience usually prefers to invest the least possible amount of time in these types of actions. Keep it simple, you’ll notice the difference.
- Promote the giveaway. Don’t forget to first tell people about the start of the giveaway on Instagram, and then do the same on your other social networks and your website and, if you think it’s necessary and depending on how long the campaign lasts for, send out several reminders. Instagram Stories are what work the best! Upload a specially designed image to Instagram. Inform your users of the hashtag they should use, and also highlight the prize they can win and the instructions they must follow to participate in the giveaway. Remember to also include the link to the campaign in the bio.
- Make sure your giveaway doesn’t last for too many days. The idea is to impact your audience and launch a giveaway with a duration of 1 to 5 days, or a week at most if a really good prize is being given away or if we already have a lot of followers and we’ll be able to get enough visibility throughout the duration of the action.
- Using a hashtag is essential. Apart from the fact that it is useful for a more detailed monitoring of the action, it is also a way for your audience to identify with said action.
- Figure out the best time to launch the giveaway. On Instagram, the best time is usually mid-day or after dinner. But every account is unique. The best thing to do is to keep track of the times of day in which your posts receive the most interaction.
- Now more than ever, you should really pay attention to your Instagram giveaway profile. Including everything from your profile’s design or information (profile picture, cover photo, biography…) to how you communicate with users, which should be as fluid as possible. Answer them without letting too much time pass, thank them for spreading the word, etc. Beware of spelling mistakes!
Types of Instagram Sweepstakes
The advantages of creating an Instagram Sweepstakes don’t end here. You can also create giveaways in sponsored posts, as well as run sweepstakes among photos belonging to different profiles. Take note!
Giveaways in sponsored posts on Instagram
Some of the advantages of promoting posts on Instagram are the multiple formats offered by the platform: images, video, carrousel… In addition, you can make defined call-to-actions, interact with your audience in a very intimate way and achieve high engagement in terms of comments. That’s why running a sweepstakes in your sponsored posts on the social network is an excellent idea.
The option to run direct sweepstakes in Instagram’s sponsored posts can be done among users who have commented on a specific post. Creating a giveaway in sponsored posts is very simple, all you have to do is follow a few steps that are very similar to those used in the creation of giveaways in unsponsored posts. However, it won’t hurt to take a look at this tutorial.
This is an example of a Spanish brand which sells toys. They promoted a post about an Instagram Sweepstakes in the Bicycle Day that obtained great results.
Giveaways among photos belonging to several different profiles
Instagram Sweepstakes also allows you to create giveaways among photos or videos belonging to different profiles. Here, the requirement is that users have to comment on one or several posts from various profiles. This option is very useful if, for example, you are brand and you want to create a campaign with an influencer or ambassador through both of your profiles.
Cool Tabs now allows you to invite users whose posts are going to participate in the contest to act as collaborators in your campaign, granting them either read-only permissions or moderator, editor and data management permissions. This way, you can add your photos or videos to the giveaway on Instagram that you’re running, or they can also do it in a simple and fast way. You can find the step-by-step on how to run giveaways among posts from different Instagram profiles in the following tutorial.
Remember that both the giveaways created in sponsored posts and those created among posts from different Instagram profiles are available with any of Cool Tabs’ plans. In addition, you can also download full reports with data on the users who have participated.