11 Tips to success in your Facebook promotions
1. Set goals for your promotion.
Before embarking on a Facebook competition (or on any other marketing action), its important that you establish the objectives you want to achieve. The ultimate goal of every activity is obviously to maximise sales. However, the actions you develop can be short-, medium- or long-term oriented, and the impact they make in terms of time and efforts will depend upon the action you have chosen. Therefore, we can distinguish the following different objectives:
- Short-term sales objectives and targets.
- Image and popularity objectives.
- The aim to increase fan loyalty and win over new followers.
1. 1. Short-term sales objectives and targets
If your objective is to launch a new product or promote existing ones, the type of competition you run has to clearly attract people to take action. You can offer discount vouchers, give away product samples or invitations to try the product.You can either chose a “valid until” date on the competition application, or else end the promotion once a maximum number of contributions has been made.
If you are looking to get people to visit your website or increase your subscriber database, you can always include the condition that users register on your database before they are allowed to participate. We suggest the following applications for these types of promotion Cool Promo (also available with White Label). Further information can be found here: Launching a competition to give away discount vouchers
1.2. Image and popularity objectives.
If you are more concerned about virality and you wish to rapidly increase your fan base, you should create a very strong promotion, with a very attractive prize that encourages users to share it with all their friends. As explained in more detail in the following section, you can choose any of the three promotions we offer to perform this action, depending on the level of participation you ask from your fans: Cool Promo and Cool Promo White Label)
1.3. The objective to increase fan loyalty and win over new followers
If you wish to strengthen ties with your fans or to amaze them with something original, you can run a competition in which you reward creative users while simultaneously offering an attractive prize. The prize doesn’t need to be very expensive, the most important thing is to grab fan attention through a promotion that stimulates their interest. We suggest the following applications for these types of promotion Cool Promo, also available with White Label.
2. Establish the degree of participation you want from your fans
One of the main objectives of any Facebook competition is to increase virality and win over new fans.Once you have decided on the target audience and you have established what you want to achieve, you can either go for a basic competition in which you ask fans to join the promotion, or else choose to run a competition to reward user participation. The before-mentioned criteria will determine the amount of effort you will be asking your fans to put, but it will also impact on how much they share your promotion.
For example, if you wish to give away free product samples to fans, it makes more sense to run a simple competition: Free gifts to participants, to the first participants, to whoever invites the higher number of friends to join the promotion, etc. But if you want to offer a more expensive prize, then you better develop a competition in which a higher degree of participation is required from competitors. For example: A videovoting competition, a writing or a photography competition. You can even combine requirements: The winner will be the candidate with the most votes which brings the highest number of fans to your promotion.
Once you have decided how the competition is going to work, you just need to choose the promotion that best suits your idea and customise it. The following guide provides you with the necessary guidelines to choose the promotion that best meets your needs.
What type of competition can I run with Cool Tabs?
- Choose your favourite
- Discount voucher
- 1 question – 1 answer
- Referrals competition
- Photography competition
- Video contest
- Writing competition
- Ranking based on scores
3. Set an original challenge for your fans and offer an attractive prize
When launching a competition, the prize has an important impact on the number of participants you get. However, sometimes fans are more interested in taking part in the competition itself than in winning the prize you offer. A good combination of both will undoubtedly lead to a successful competition.
This is why it is important to always bear in mind your target audience and the degree of participation you expect your fans to have. Defining the adequate target audience will allow you to adapt the promotion message, the communication strategy, and even the marketing campaign for them.
If these two variables are well established, a higher degree of participation will be achieved.
4. Define the winner selection process.
Now you have decided how the competition is going to work and what the prize is going to be, it’s time to decide on a winner selection method. The number of options is unlimited, but there are several aspects to consider for every selection method:
– If you organise a draw, it will have to be witnessed by a notary. This will help your competition not to lose credibility with participants.
– If the organization or company is to select the winner (as the case may be in photography, video or writing competitions), make sure the selection criteria are clear. It is also advisable not to offer a single prize but various prizes with different prize amounts, so that participants are not discouraged to participate.
– If the winner is selected through other users voting, we recommend that you don’t select it straight away, instead, you can select the N participants with the highest score or those exceeding a number of votes; and then organise a draw from among the participants to select the final winner (before a notary). Even though all Cool Tabs applications feature a fraud control system, not giving a prize straight away will discourage bad practice, such as fraudulent votes from multiple accounts, fake profiles or vote exchange groups.
Later on, we will explain the details of the fraud detection mechanisms used in Cool Tabs applications.
5. Make the most of your promotion design
Offering an attractive design on your promotion is essential and you must never forget about it. This is why our promotions Cool Promo offer several promotion types for you to choose.
Moreover, if none of the promotions are exactly what you are looking for, you can make the necessary adjustments and improvements, or even change them completely using a custom css.
This allows you to use the company’s colours for the background and select any font or style you want. If you have some basic knowledge of css, you have unlimited choices to custom your promotion!
Even if you you dont know much about css, Cool Tabs offers the option to use a custom background colour and a background photo for your promotion, so that you can unleash your creativity and try something new.
Once you have created the promotion, the option preview enables a view of how the promotion is going to look like, allowing you to implement all the changes you want before the competition is finally published.
Here are some examples of the promotions you can create with Cool Tabs:
6. Follow Facebook rules
We recommend you to visit Facebook promotion guidelines page. To sum up, the following are the most important aspects you need to bear in mind:
- Regardless of the fact that the promotion is launched on Facebook, you should also abide by your country’s regulations.
- It is strictly forbidden to include promotions on the fan pages wall. Promotions have to be launched through external applications created specifically to do it. This means that you can not ask users to take an action directly from their walls. Instead, everything has to be done using an external application. Cool Tabs promotions and competitions have been specifically developed and designed to this end and are fully compliant with Facebook rules.
- The promotions terms and conditions must include an acknowledgement that the promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook; and that the recipient of the information disclosed by the participant will not be Facebook.
- You must not notify winners through Facebook, this is why all our applications give you the option of including a section in which the participant can enter his/her email address for notification in case they win the competition.
7. Make sure your terms and conditions are clear and easy to understand
Besides complying with Facebook rules when launching a promotion, you should provide a different set of rules for all participants. This shall include:
- Applicable legislation in the country.
- The Facebook terms and conditions for promotions.
- Specific rules for your competition or promotion.
All our applications are fully compliant with Facebook rules, and include a section where you can easily enter the specific terms and conditions for your competition. The following are some legal terms we recommend you to use in your promotion:
- Provide information about the company organising the competition.
- Age restriction.
- Participation fees. This information doesn’t need to be specified if the competition is free. However, some countries such as Spain, require that the company complies with some additional legal requirements and obtain the necessary licence if participants have to pay for participating.
- Field, duration and the date by which the winner will be notified.
- Competition mechanics and winner selection process.
- Information about the prize.
- Winner notification details (Facebook doesn’t allow that winners are notified through this network).
- Participants agreement to transfer image and intellectual property rights.
- Data protection.
- Restrictions and limitations:
- The possibility to disqualify from the competition any users who don’t comply with the rules, and include penalties for fraudulent activities.
- The possibility to cancel or change the competition, or replace the prize with an alternative one of equal value.
- Include Facebook rules (as we have mentioned above):
- Facebook declines all responsibility for the consequences of candidates or participants acts.
- 2. An acknowledgement that the promotion is not sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook.
- 3. A disclosure that the participant is providing information to [disclose recipient(s) of information] and not to Facebook.
8. Control fraudulent activities
Many users try to cheat when participating in Facebook promotions. The most common trick is increasing the vote share of a candidate. This can be done through exchanging votes, fake accounts, etc.
The most important thing to do to avoid these kinds of fraudulent activities in promotions is, as we mentioned earlier, not to give a prize straight away to the user with the most votes. This encourages users to try all sorts of tricks to get the price. This is why we recommend that you run a draw among the N candidates with the most votes in order to select the final winner. In this way, the prize will not be given to the participant with the most votes, for s/he might have perpetrated a fraud.
In any case, in Cool Tabs, we have included several functions in our applications Cool Promo to help you manage and monitor votes in the promotion, and thus avoid fraudulent activities:
- IP control system.
- Allowing a maximum number of votes per IP address for a given period of time.
- Single user ID and/or browser control system.
- Allowing a maximum number of votes per user and/or browser.
- Eliminating votes.
Check our blogs for further information: Fraud Control System for Facebook Promotions
9. Trolls out!
In Internet slang, a troll is a person who likes posting provocative messages and irrelevant content with the sole purpose to start an argument with the other users.
During the course of your promotion, you may find some posts with disgusting content that can interfere with the good running of the competition, diverting the attention away from the competition and creating a hostile atmosphere for users.
What to do in these cases?
The best thing to do is to include in the competitions terms a clause to inform that you reserve the right to disqualify any offensive entries. In the event that this occurs, you should remove them from the promotion.
An alternative option would be to check any comments/content before they are posted. Our applications Cool Promo and Cool Promo White Label offer this option to make sure that no entry which is not in compliance with the competitions terms is published without your prior consent.
10. Promote your promotion
If you have decided to launch a competition on Facebook, make the most of the synergies offered by social networking services. Do not simply post it on your wall. Instead, use all the communication channels you have with your fans: Twitter, Pinterest, Linkedin, newsletter, and even your own website, are just some examples of communication channels you can use to maximise the impact of your competition.
Investing in Facebook Ads is also a good idea to maximise the impact of your promotion. Remember that Facebook advertising space is rather small, this is why it’s essential that ads are eye-catching and easy to understand.
Generally, we recommend that the promotion is integrated into a broader marketing strategy so that you can maximise its effectiveness.
Let bloggers know about the competition, invite them to participate and make sure you get the most out of your networking. If your promotion gets to grab their attention, they themselves will do the job of spreading the word.
11. Measure the success of your promotion and explore the insights
This is the classic dilemma of marketing specialists: How can you measure the success of a promotion?
The most practical and logical thing to do would undoubtedly be to answer the question: What impact has the promotion made on my sales or profits?
However, it isn’t always easy to answer this question if the goals you set were to be achieved in the long-term (i.e. increase the brands presence in social networks).
If this is the case, its advisable to measure the participation levels of the promotion, as many studies have shown that Facebook fans of a brand are more likely to purchase from that particular brand than non-fans.This is why we recommend you to check the statistics so as to obtain several essential indicators such as:
- How many people have visited the promotion page?
- How many people have participated?
- How many new fans have the company attracted?
- How popular has the competition been in other social networking sites: Twitter, Pinterest, Linkedin,… ?
Our application Cool Promo enable you to include your own GoogleAnalyticsTracking Code to measure the impact that your campaign is having.
Moreover, the White Label option of all our promotions allows you to install the promotion on your own Facebook application, thus enabling full access to Facebook insights.
If you want to try any of our plans and prices for free without obligation, please contact us.