Promotions and sweepstakes on social networks are one of the most common practices used by brands to generate the shark of insights: engagement.
Have you ever searched for the hashtag #giveaway, #sweepstakes or #contest? It’s amazing how many of them there are and it’s normal to be curious about how you can make them be successful.
If you’re one of those people who are suspicious of giveaways and promotions on your social networks, then you’re in luck! In this post, we’ll give you the keys to succeeding with your giveaways and campaigns.
Are you ready to include giveaways and promotions in your marketing strategy? Get a piece of paper and a pen, and start taking notes.
Promotions and Sweepstakes, engagement’s best friends
Giveaways and promotions on social networks can become one of your best allies when it comes to increasing your engagement. Careful! The idea isn’t to turn your profile into a raffle every month.
The idea with this type of action is to generate a quality community that is interested in your brand, regardless of how many giveaways you do.
Engagement is the degree of commitment and interaction between your brand and your community. Creating this relationship based on motivation and loyalty will be your cornerstone to achieving better engagement rates.
Make your followers feel like they’re part of a community. This way, they’ll end interacting with it more.
Think about it. What’s the use of having thousands of followers if your posts don’t have any interactions? Having a zombie community does nothing for you, in fact, it reduces your brand’s credibility.
Running giveaways and promotions on your profiles is an excellent way to drive interactions. Whether by visiting your website or blog, through reactions, comments or by sharing posts.
You can’t deny that doing promotions and sweepstakes is the best way to boost your brand, right?
Are you becoming convinced? Start taking notes, because we’re going to give you the keys to making your giveaways a success.
Basic tips for your Promotions and Sweepstakes
When it comes to social networks, there is no magic rule as to what always works. A big part of this type of work is based on testing and detecting what is best suited to your community and your brand.
Keep these tips in mind before preparing your promotions and sweepstakes:
- Choose your social network: Not all social networks work the same way and have the same terms and conditions. Therefore, it’s important to decide which is the right one for your giveaway and the dynamics you’ve proposed.Running a giveaway that doesn’t comply with the platform’s rules can not only result in your profiles being shut down, but it can also harm the image of your brand.
- Clarity in the language used: Depending on the social network chosen for your giveaways and promotions, you should use one tone or another. The key, in this case, will be to clearly explain the mechanics, adapting your tone to the characteristics of each profile. Create an environment in which your followers and future followers feel comfortable. You’ll see how you achieve excellent participation rates.On Facebook, go for longer and more explanatory copies, where you make the mechanics really clear. But be careful not to make the mistake of writing a “super paragraph”, as that will only cause your followers to miss out on information.While on Twitter, you can use a more daring tone with which you’ll create a sense of closeness.
- Adapt your creatives: On each social platform, there is a recommended size for the photos you can upload. If you want to give off a good image, don’t forget to adapt the creatives for your giveaways and promotions to the different social networks. In case you don’t know what these sizes are, we’ll give them to you 😉. The perfect size for images on each social network is:
– Facebook: 1200×630
– Twitter: 1024×512
– Instagram: 1080×1080
– Instagram: 470x250One tip: when you prepare a giveaway, it’s a good idea to change the cover image with the creative inspired by the giveaway’s image. This way, anyone who reaches your profile will be able to see it.The same goes for posting the winner. Make it more personal by preparing a creative that’s inspired by the original and adding in the name of the winner.
- Simple formats: we want everything to be quick and on the spot, which is why it’s essential for the formats you propose to be simple and spontaneous. If you’re looking for a fast growth in engagement, be simple and direct.In the case of Facebook, prepare a format that encourages dialogue among your followers. With the latest change to EdgeRank, this is what will give you the best results in terms of reach and engagement.Put yourself in the shoes of the participant. The less you’re asked to do, the easier it will be to click that like or participate in a contest that otherwise may be overlooked at first glance.With the proliferation of brands, giveaways, contests, and promotions on social networks, we need to pay attention to what we can and cannot do.
What you can’t ask for in a contest
There are some aspects that you should pay attention to in order to avoid having problems in the future. Keep these legal considerations in mind:
- If the contest requires participants to pay any sum of money, you must have a license to carry out this type of activity based on the applicable gambling laws and regulations.
- In the case of a game of chance, when choosing the winner, 10% of the value of the prize will be taxed, provided that the giveaway or promotion has advertising purposes.
- You must include terms & conditions in a way that’s accessible to users, including aspects such as:
– The identity of the organizer.
– Start and end dates of the giveaways and promotions, and the date on which winners will be chosen.
– Rules and characteristics of participation.
– Penalty in the case of fraud.
– Transfer of image rights and intellectual property rights of the winner and participants.
– Possibility of the giveaway being suspended or extended.
Learn about all of these details so that your giveaways and promotions don’t become problematic for you, and instead are only a source of joy and engagement. Here are some tricks to creating campaigns and giveaways that are fully adapted to the European GDPR.
Having clarified the technical aspects, now we will get into how to prepare the coolest giveaways and promotions.
The best formats to generate engagement
If you don’t have a lot of time or don’t have a wide range of resources at your disposal, we recommend using formats that generate direct engagement.
Give your followers a fun and simple format, in which all they have to do is leave a comment on the post to participate.
You can combine this option with mentions, so that they not only have to answer a question, but must also mention someone in order to enter. This will make it more viral and will generate better participation.
From our platform, we help you to bring out the more artistic side of your followers. Ask them to upload a photo to participate and have them vote for their favorite to help you choose the winner.
Combine this with a format in which the participants’ photos can be voted on, and the one with the most votes is the winner.
Increase the engagement of your Twitter profile with a giveaway in which users participate by tweeting with the #hashtag that you’ve chosen for your contest. A simple format that will definitely get you great results.
Contest on Instagram
Strengthen your brand on Instagram by asking users to upload a photo or video to participate in your giveaway, tag your brand and use the #hashtag you have proposed. This way, not only will you gain engagement, but you will also create content around your brand, which is always a plus.
As long as you include this aspect in your terms & conditions, you will be able to use this content in the future.
Find out how much your followers know about your brand, including a satisfaction survey in your contest. Associate it with the theme you choose for your campaign, such as back-to-school, and watch as you entertain your followers.
You can also entertain and surprise your community with a quiz or personality test. How? We make it easy for you.
Find out what your brand’s community likes through a contest, in which participants choose between various products or services. By having them leave their name, surname, and email, this contest will serve to capture leads. What do you think?
Entertain your followers as they discover which character they’d be in a TV show with a personality test. All you have to do is think of what kind of test you can associate with your campaign and start creating it. Easy, right?
Quiz with points for right answers or trivia
Put your followers’ knowledge to the test with a quiz. You can give points for every right answer and even add a time limit for answering the questions.
These types of formats will generate indirect engagement and are the perfect tool for making dynamic content and make the campaign go viral.
If participants post the results on their profiles and share it with their friends, they also contribute to increasing its engagement and making the campaign go viral.
Which one do you like the most? We invite you to discover all the options we can offer you to help make your super cool giveaways and promotions.
The importance of knowing your community
It’s really important that you know your community and adapt your promotions and sweepstakes to their tastes and needs.
If you have a community with low interaction, ask them for very little. If, in general, they don’t share their interests or tastes, then go for simple formats. You’ll see how after several giveaways and promotions, this interaction will increase.
Do your followers participate actively? Then don’t be afraid to give your giveaways and promotions some complexity, but without going overboard. Ask them to upload a photo or write a small text. If you’re lucky and your community is fully committed, go for a more complex format. Take a look at what our platform can offer you.
And don’t forget! Choose the prize according to your community’s involvement and the complexity of the format you pick.
What do you think? You’ve probably already come up with loads of topics you can use to make your engagement rates skyrocket.
Most importantly: have fun and make your followers have fun. We’ll take care of the technical side.